Wednesday 23 September 2015

Escapism and Escape

Neil Gaiman, in a lecture quoted in the Guardian, discuses how the term 'escapism' is 'bandied about as if its a bad thing' as if its a 'cheap opiate'. He considers that it is instead the ability, when 'trapped in an impossible situation' to find a 'temoprary escape', that 'opens a door, shows the sunlight outside'. That 'during your escape' that the experience will give you 'knowledge about the world and your predicament, give you weapons, give you armour: real things you can take back into your prison. Skills and knowledge and tools you can use to escape for real.'

That was how I found myself in Secret Cinema's Star Wars finale, holding hands with my own Obi Wan Kenobi, running down the centre of hundreds of people following Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and a Wookie in the final scene. 

And since then I haven't looked back, except to reflect on what I learned from the experience of 'temporary escape' for my longer term, 'escape for real'.

No comments:

Post a Comment