Tuesday 3 February 2015

Perspective: Sharing Stories

Graffiti on 6th St, Williamsburg, New York
Working with some young people with complex needs this week on their speech and language skills I said we'd be talking that day about ourselves, saying something we liked and something about what we were like as people.

I thought about what I was going to say that told them something about me, as an example.

I started with the first thing that came to my mind. 'I like stories. I like stories in books and movies and stories people tell me and I like making videos of stories and writing stories.'

It was only then I put together my love of reading and going to the movies and writing and talking to people and making videos and saw the link with them all.

In an interview with Philip Pullman when he was asked why he believed stories were so important, he said it was because:

'they entertain and they teach; 
they help us both enjoy life and endure it.'

He went on to say:

'After nourishment, shelter and companionship, 
stories are the thing we need most in the world.'

No comments:

Post a Comment