Thursday 2 June 2016

Having Faith and Realistic Expectations


Today I was told by a minister (when I felt there was little hope of being able to depend on certain people for a project),  to:
 'Have a little faith.'
I told him that I had faith but that 'I keep getting slapped in the faith.'

I continue to have faith in people all the time but realize that realistically I am going to be let down regularly. This doesn't stop me from doing anything but does help me to be able to deal with the disappointment, as well as not begrudge the wasted time and effort and helps me reconcile my self to starting sometimes from scratch again.

I need to have faith and just as much, I need to know that whatever I do I cannot make the impossible happen.

As Niebuhr (1930s) first said and Alcoholics Anonymous have adopted, I hope to be have:

"...the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment