Saturday 5 August 2017

Review: God is Dead by Ron Currie

God Is DeadGod Is Dead by Ron Currie Jr.
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

God is Dead feels less like a novel and more a collection of short stories linked by the title theme. Although many of the satirical episodes stand up on their own (as can be seen by those previously published as stand-alones) the structure of the book lends itself more to a reading by dipping in and out rather than an engaging and driven narrative.

I began the book, interested and impatient to read about this world, meeting characters I invested in and plot lines that were intriguing. As the book went on I discovered I was not going to meet most of these characters again, plot lines were discontinued, some adjacent and intermittent and some completely unrelated. And the world as central character in the any overall story was underdeveloped and inconsistent and sometimes looked like it was just tacked on to link the individual stories together, much like the bible quotes before each chapter.

I started out excited and intrigued by the book and its characters but by the end I just didn't care.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment