Tuesday 17 November 2015

Function and Tuning


Books do not need to be literary masterpieces to be insightful. Neither do they need to be an overall success. They can, like The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton have a relatively uninspiring but steady plotline and setting and flashes of perfection which set it apart from mediocrity. The following is one such flash of genius:

'She was the sort of person who needed to be kept happy, he realized. Not as a matter of selfish expectation, but as a simple fact of design; like a piano or a harp, she'd been made to function best at a certain tuning.'

Whether it spoke to me because I could associate with it or it spoke to me as the simple truth of the human condition, it spoke to me.

I am made to 'function best at a certain tuning' - aren't we all?

No comments:

Post a Comment