Monday 20 September 2021

We're Playing Doctors and Nurses


This story began on my way to work at our youth centre, when a young woman passed me wearing a mask under her chin as if it was the most natural thing in the world. 

I thought about how I'd never seen a surgical mask in a doctor or nurse toy set and I fast-forwarded into a post-apocalyptic world (or maybe somewhere now) and thought about the consequences of discarded masks, a discarded health service, and a discarded world and the irony of the term 'stranger-danger' when statistically we are more likely to be hurt by people we know.

The story is pretty creepy I know. I'm hoping it makes the reader uneasy. I think it's a good thing when I'm not feeling comfortable about something, it's harder to ignore.

Thanks Paragraph Planet for publishing this. Writers, send any 75 worders you have their way here

No comments:

Post a Comment