Wednesday 19 August 2015

Bucket List or Will?

Three things have come up recently which have prompted this post:
  1. Family gathering celebrating patriarch's 70th birthday
  2. Imminent School Reunion
  3. Funeral of a Colleague
Family gatherings, reunions and funerals all seem to bring out the same phrase: Carpe Diem - Seize the Day. We seem to be reminded of our mortality and fulfilling our expectations. People write bucket lists (things to do before they 'kick the bucket'). People write wills. 

I don't know where I fall in the spectrum between bucket list and will. I have so many lists which have everything from what I want to do today, this week and into the long term that another list is not necessary. And as I have nothing of financial value to leave, a will is not necessary. 

What is necessary?
'In spite of illness, in spite even of the archenemy sorrow, one CAN remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in small ways' (Edith Wharton). 

I think I will just try being happy in small ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment